The Best Vegan jackfruit “Crab” cake
Back when I was a pescetarian, crab cakes were one of my favorites! I haven’t had any craving for them since I have been vegan. Well, until two weeks ago. ( and no, I am not pregnant!)
I came across several vegan crab cake recipes on the web, tried them but none really satisfied me.
The recipe I am about to share with you is the fourth attempt at the same version that I really like!
First, I used chickpea as a binder… It was a complete disaster!
Then, I tried flax so I could preserve all the flavors while keeping everything together. It was ok, but had a lack of crunch!
I wanted something as close to the real thing as possible!
Let me tell you… this vegan jackfruit crab cake recipe is it!
I also think it tastes way better when it’s deep-fried. The bake version is quite nice, though!
I made a load of them! I put the extras in the freezer. Have you tried some vegan jackfruit crab cake wrap? They are scrumptious! All you need is a large lettuce leaf, hummus or vegan mayo; add some tomatoes and it’s just divine!
You know those people who love seafood, crabs in that case but are highly allergic to them? Well, they can enjoy these as much as they want with no problem!
Let’s get this crab cake recipe, shall we?
- 1 cup of cooked lentils, French lentils work better but any would do
- 1 15 oz can of jackfruit in water
- 2 tablespoon of old bay seasoning
- ⅓ cup of finely chopped celery ( the smaller, the better)
- ⅓ cup finely chopped onions ( the smaller, the better)
- 1 teaspoon of parsley flakes
- ½ cup of vegan panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup of rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast
- ½ cup vegan mayo
- 1 teaspoon of ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar
- Baked version:
- Warm up the oven to 420 degrees.
- In a saucepan, add the jackfruit with the brine and the balsamic vinegar. Let cook for 15 minutes or until the water in nearly absorbed. Shred the jackfruit with a fork. Let cool.
- In a food processor, add the cooked lentils, the parsley, oats, the old bay. Pulse for 20 seconds. Add the nutritional yeast, the ground flaxseed, vegan mayo, the onion, and the celery.
- Pulse for 20 more seconds or until well combined.
- Add the lentil mixture to the jackfruit. Mix well.
- In your palm, form round patties half inch thick.
- Coat with bread crumbs.
- Layer on a lined baking tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Deep fried Version:
- Repeat all the steps above,
- deep fried until golden.
Oh, it pairs really well with this cucumber corn salad!