Creamy curry mushrooms soup to warm you from the inside. Easy to make, vegan, keto friendly, low carb, full of fiber, -free, healthy goodness and really delicious!
I don’t know where you are in the world reading this post or which season it is right but right now it’s freezing on the East Coast! This type of artic-like weather doesn’t a caribbean girl any good! I am that close to pack it all and move to some tropical paradise island. ( not really! I just love the dramatic of it!)
A couple friends of mind decided to give the vegan keto diet a go as part of their wellness plan of 2019. For support, I decided to give it a go. I have been doing it for a couple of months now.
Honestly, I never really believed all the claims people making online and offline about this diet or lifestyle.
After all a low carb diet is low carb diet no matter what name you give it, right? Wrong!
What’s a vegan Keto diet?
I can’t really speak on what the others do but anything that’s encouraging or enticing one to consume lots animals products, processed foods can’t be right in my book. That being said, a sample menu of keto diet plan is all about that but minus starchy vegetables, legumes, beans, grains, and fruits ( except some berries).
It’s quite a restrictive diet but make it vegan and you will have a panic attack recipe for disaster waiting to happen if you look at the glass half empty.
As vegan we rely heavily on foods like potatoes, beans, grains, and fruits. Remove all that and pickings become quite slim indeed!
The first week I tried to eat a vegan keto friendly diet, consisted of “oh my God what am I going to eat!” I had chia seed pudding three times a day and cucumbers for snacks. Lots of snacks!
Then, I realized I was going about it the wrong way. It was never about what I can’t eat but what I can do with my options albeit quite limited.
Here is an idea of what I now have on a typical day:
-Breakfast: Chia seed pudding with full fat coconut milk topped with pumpkin seeds and and pecans or any type nuts. 5.1g of net carbs.
-Snack: Cucumber and tomatoes salad. Topped with fresh cilantro, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt. 2.5 g of net carbs.
-Lunch: creamy curry mushrooms soup, 7.5 g net carbs.
-Dinner: Stuffed acorn, 5.8 g net carbs.
-Dessert: avocado and dark chocolate mousse, 6.2 net carbs
It’s an idea of what you can eat on a vegan keto diet, and trust me after a couple months and 12 pounds down, it doesn’t seem so bad at all!
Even as vegan I have never eaten as much vegetables before. I also had lots of fun cooking them. Things can get quite creative I must say!
Do I feel hungrier than usual? No, but not at first. I guess my body had to get used to not having all of delicious baked potatoes, banana smoothies, rice, and quinoa!
I craved them a lot at first. Then, I got used to not having them.
I also realized from previous food journal entries that my diet rely heavily on carbs. I used to reach 250 grams a day easily.
Now, the plan is to eat an healthy amount while enjoying all the other plants nature has to offer.
If you really all of that, well thanks for hanging out! How about we share that recipe now?
Creamy Curry Mushrooms soup
- 1 lbs shiitake mushrooms, slices
- 2 cups cauliflower, chopped
- 2 heads baby bok choy, sliced
- 1 tbsp coconut oil unrefined, it tasted better
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 block extra firm tofu optional
- 1 tbsp parsley, flaked
- 1 8oz can of chopped tomatoes try the fire roasted kind
- 4 cups vegetables or water
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 small red onions, chopped
- Gather the ingredients.
- Heat up a large saucepan on medium low heat.
- Add the coconut oil. add the onions. Let cook until translucent.
- add the garlic, let cook until golden. Add the tofu.
- Add the coconut milk, the curry powder, the ginger, the mushrooms, the cauliflower, tomatoes, and the bok choy.
- add the broth, salt, and pepper flakes.
- Let simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- 13 Useful apps to help you live a more sustainable life
- How to lose weight without dieting- Practical advice
- How to have a beautiful, healthy, even skin tone?
- Is hemp protein the healthiest protein powder?
- Sweet potato chocolate mousse with grilled peaches