Delicious, crispy, mouthwatering, deep fried tofu!
I am usually not the deep fried kind of person. Oil-fried stuff tends to turn me off but sometimes I get this craving for them, I just have to give in.
I love deep fried okra or picked by the way! I can eat a whole basket all by myself and still want more! The last time I have some was almost a year ago.
Last week I had this pack of extra firm tofu that I really wanted to get rid of before it starts looking sad.
I wanted some sort of Indian dish with it but I never came around to it besides it felt like a lot hassles!
Then, my husband suggested that we deep fried the tofu. The guy can live on fried stuff if he could!
For once, I gave in…
We decided to use corn flakes cereal to coat the cubes and have a tart dipping to go with since the cereal would give a sweet flavor to the tofu.
I only have lemons and cranberries on hands, so we decided to use them.
Oh, that was epic!
What to expect?
This deep-fried tofu is really delicious!
easy to make
goes well with barbecue sauce, mustard dips, and some other great condiments!
It’s also a great base to toss in with vegetable stir-fries.
It surprisingly freezes really well!
eating them make me feel like I am having wickedly delicious fair food! I haven’t been to the State Fair since going vegan, not sure how I would feel about some of the displays ☹…
Deep Fried Tofu
Deep Fried Tofu | Ethical and Chic
- 1 pack of firm tofu
- 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- For the dipping sauce:
- 2 tbs. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup corn flakes cereal
- 1 tbs. cornstarch
- 1/2 cup frozen cranberries or 1 cup of concentrate juice
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- Cut the tofu into roughly one-inch cubes. Discard any liquid.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add the corn flakes and starch in a blender, pulse for 30 seconds.
- Transfer the corn flakes mixture to a bowl.
- Add the tofu cubes. Coat them well.
- Heat up the oil on medium to low heat.
- Add the coated cubes, cook until golden and crispy.
- Meanwhile, mix the cranberries, the lemon juice, salt, pepper, and sugar in a blender until smooth.
- At this point, you can either use it as it is or pour it into a saucepan and reduce for 5 minutes on low heat to thicken.
- Serve with deep-fried tofu and enjoy!