Easy Jackfruit Vegan Chili
I cannot believe we are still having 30 degree days in April! Not a week ago it was in the 70s ! I already put all my sweaters and boots away. That was a hasty decision if you ask me!
You know what’s weird? Me planning what I am going to have for cookouts while I am cold through the bones!
I have heard so much great stuff about jackfruits for a while now but I never got around to give it a try.
I usually make a big prime pantry order around this time of the year so I decided to add some to my box.
Since it’s been so cold here in North Carolina, I decided to make some chili for my first try with jackfruit. Honestly, I wasn’t impressed when I tried it straight from the can. It was a different story once it was slow cooked with all the goodness and spices of this easy vegan chili!
The first time?
You know this weird feeling you have when you try a fake meat for the first time, that feeling that makes you want to spit it out because the stuff is too close to real for comfort? Well, I didn’t get it with the jackfruit. Thank goodness!
It’s tender enough to be used as pulled pork but with this distinctive texture and feel of non-animal products. I am sorry if my description lacks, I hope you get the idea!
Feel free to read all about the health benefits of jackfruits here!
I cannot wait to experiment some more with jackfruit! I apologize in advance if I go a little crazy with some jackfruit barbecue in the near future!
My not so secret weapon for making delicious chili is to add some brewed dark roast coffee in the process! It makes a huge difference! Some people even add beer to the mix but I have yet to try it!
Grab some red kidney beans,
Let’s make some easy Jackfruit Vegan Chili!
- 2 15 oz cans red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 12 oz can jackfruit
- ¾ cup dark roast, freshly brewed coffee
- ½ cup chopped red onions
- 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley or cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tablespoon mashed garlic
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 cup water or veggie broth
- (serving: vegan sour cream, avocado, or shredded vegan cheese for serving- I added the link at the end if you are interested in making you own sour cream.)
- Heat the oven on medium. Add the garlic with some a tablespoon water in a large saucepan. Let cook until soften.
- Add the onions, salt, pepper and jackfruit. Let simmer for 5 minutes. It's to make sure your jackfruit has enough flavor.
- At this point, you can transfer to a slow cooker add the rest of the ingredients and let cook for 2 to 5 hours.
- Add the beans, the ketchup and the of the ingredients. Give it a good stir. Let simmer 30 to 45 minutes on low heat.
- Adjust seasonings if needed.
- Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
- It's yummy with jarred jalapeno if you can handle the heat!
Vegan sour cream recipe!
Have you tried jackfruit before or I am the one late to the party? Let me know!
Sharing is caring: Facebook, Instagram
Or just tag me to stay in touch! @ethicalanchic
Until next time…
Stay Ethical and Chic!