Red Kidney beans Brown Rice | Ethical and Chic
This is one of my go-to budget meal! You can do so many things with this red kidney beans brown rice. For example, layer it with some lettuce on a tortilla wrap. You can also make a burrito bowl out of it, or eat it as is with a side of avocado. Have you tried eating avocado with your rice? It’s epic!
It only cost me 5.68 bucks to make a week worth of that red kidney beans and brown rice. The bag of brown rice was .99 cents, the can of beans was .89 cents each, the vegetable broth was $ 1.00, the coconut milk was $ 1.23, and the pack of spinach was 0.68 cents.
I don’t include the spices and seasonings because these are stuff I buy in bulk and always have around.
Let’s do this!
- 2 and ½ cup jasmine brown rice
- 2 15 oz cans red kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cup of unsalted or low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 3 cup of spinach, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of dry thyme
- ½ cup chopped red onions
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- Heat up the oven on medium. Warm up cooking pan.
- Add ½ cup of the broth to cook the onion until translucent.
- Add the beans, the coconut milk. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour the rest of broth, the garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, spinach and cilantro. Bring to a boil.
- Rinse the rice with cold water, combine with the beans mixture. Lower the heat, cover and let simmer for 35 minutes or until the rice is tender. Fluff up with a fork and serve.