Scrambled tofu and cactus
This is one delicious breakfast! If you haven’t tried your taste buds to cactus yet, here is your chance! I promised you won’t regret it!
If you used to eat peppers and eggs you will definitely like this scrambled tofu and cactus. I usually just wrap it in whole grain tortillas or have it with a side of hash browns.
I would advise you to use the pickled or jarred cactus found at Hispanics stores. The fresh ones are a real pain in the neck. They can really get slimy and tough if not prepared correctly.
I honestly think I have a mild addiction to the jarred ones also called nopalitos.
Now, let’s get some scrambled tofu and cactus started!
- ½ block of firm tofu
- ½ cup jarred cactus ( nopalistos)
- ½ cup chopped red onions
- 2 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste ( use black salt instead if you have any one hand)
- Whole grain tortillas
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce ( optional)
- Sliced avocado (optional)
- Heat a frying pan on medium to low. Roughly crumble to tofu in it. Cook for a couple minutes. Add the cactus, onions, cilantro, salt and pepper and sriracha sauce.
- Cover tightly. Let the steam cook everything. for 5 minutes.
- Spoon over the tortilla, topped with avocado.
Until next time…
Stay ethical and Chic!