Simple vegan tofu scramble
I used to eat scrambled eggs like it is going out style everyday for breakfast! I loved adding spinach, peppers, onions , and whatever other vegetables I have on hands.
As you know eggs are definitely not part of my plant-based diet. In fact, I feel revolted every time I see a plate of eggs. The mere sight of them now turn my stomach!
Now, tofu scramble is one of my go-to vegan breakfast! I like to have it loaded with roasted red bell peppers, red pepper flakes, mushrooms,black salt or like would normally make eggs.
Have you ever tried a tofu breakfast tacos? Delicious!!!!
While I enjoy tofu now, I remember despising the thing with a passion! The texture just couldn’t do it for me! It grew on me after several trials and errors.
The main reason why I got into tofu is because it’s an easy and cheap way to get some protein, it’s customizable, low crabs, gluten-free, and more bearable than animal proteins. It’s also low in calories, has no cholesterol, and it’s excellent source of iron and can calcium.
Before I get the part where i have a steaming plate of hearty breakfast, I like to do some prep work. Nothing major but necessary.
I usually get extra firm tofu , I am not a fan silken tofu unless is in a pitcher of green smoothie buried in fruits and vegetables.
I freeze tofu for a few hours the day before and let it thaw the night before I will use it.
- 1 Tofu Block, extra firm
- a small red onion
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ⅓ cup fresh parsley
- ½ tsp. sea salt or kala namak (black salt) is you have any on hand
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- ½ cup tomato chunks
- 5 cups of leafy greens like spinach, kale or what ever green you like
- 1 tsp coconut oil or 2 tbsp of water
- Press the tofu to remove any extra water.
- Start by chopping the onion and parsley finely.
- Add the oil to a frying pan on medium heat. Add the garlic and onion.
- Let the onion cook until it soften.
- Add the tofu. Let simmer until the water is almost evaporated. About 10 minutes on medium low heat.
- Add the tomato chunks, turmeric,parsley, and red pepper flakes.
- Mix well.
- Let simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Now, this one always hit the spot! Are you a tofu fan? What is your favorite way to enjoy it?
There are more vegan recipes on this blog: