Teff porridge in the morning for breakfast.
It has to be clean, no processed sugar, with lots of great toppings!
Teff is one of those products I have a subscription from my online grocery shopping app. I save money on it that way, as I consume a lot of it. I am working on a list of the top food items I purchase on a regular basis. It should be up by tomorrow.
Anyway, I include teff in my diet because it is so rich in nutrients! It’s loaded with fiber, calcium, potassium, and it’s gluten-free.
It’s quite an interesting grass. Yes, it’s another grass mistaken for a grain! Teff means “lost”. The seed is so small that you will lose it forever if you let it fall on the floor.
Delicious Teff porridge
The reddish-brown kind is more popular and easy to find. It’s affordable and easy to make.
I share a previous teff recipe here.
Today, it will be a bit different.
What to expect?
Delicious teff porridge
What will you need?
teff, plant-based milk, apple butter, cinnamon powder, water, fruits or any type of toppings, and a blender to keep everything smooth.
Learn more from teff here: Is teff a gluten-free flour?
- ¾ cup whole teff
- 1½ cup water
- ½ Tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup nondairy milk
- ½ cup no sugar added apple butter
- berries, cacao nibs for toppings or any other preferred ones
- In a large sauce pan over medium heat, add the teff without water to toast. It's to ensure better flavor pay off.
- Stay close, keep shuffling the pan as teff can burn easily. You hear some light pops.
- Toast for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the water to the teff. Stir.
- Add cinnamon.
- Let cook on medium low heat for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender. add the nondairy milk and apple butter.
- Blender until smooth. It should be 30 seconds.
- Pour into a bowl, top with fruits and cacao nibs before serving.