Teff porridge in the morning for breakfast.
It has to be clean, no processed sugar, with lots of great toppings!
Teff is one of those products I have as a subscription from my online grocery shopping app. I save money on it that way, as I consume a lot of it. I am working on a list of the top food items I purchase on a regular basis. It should be up by tomorrow.
Anyway, I include teff in my diet because it is so rich in nutrients! It’s loaded with fiber, calcium, potassium, and it’s gluten free.
I share more about teff in this post : 3 reasons why you go buy some teff now!
It’s quite an interesting grass. Yes, it’s another grass mistaken for a grain! Teff means “lost”. The seed is so small that you will lose it for ever if you let it fall on the floor.
Delicious Teff porridge
The reddish brown kind is more popular and easy to find. It’s affordable and easy to make.
I share a previous teff recipe here.
Today, it will be a bit different.
What to expect?
Delicious teff porridge
What will you need?
teff, plant-based milk, apple butter, cinnamon powder, water, fruits or any type of toppings, and a blender to keep everything smooth.
Learn more from teff here: Is teff a gluten free flour?
- ¾ cup whole teff
- 1½ cup water
- ½ Tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup nondairy milk
- ½ cup no sugar added apple butter
- berries, cacao nibs for toppings or any other preferred ones
- In a large sauce pan over medium heat, add the teff without water to toast. It's to ensure better flavor pay off.
- Stay close, keep shuffling the pan as teff can burn easily. You hear some light pops.
- Toast for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the water to the teff. Stir.
- Add cinnamon.
- Let cook on medium low heat for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender. add the nondairy milk and apple butter.
- Blender until smooth. It should be 30 seconds.
- Pour into a bowl, top with fruits and cacao nibs before serving.