I am always up for a quick recipe that only takes 30 minutes or less. These tofu steaks have been a staple at my house for a long time. I usually have pre marinated tofu in the freezer to thaw at any moment’s notice. I haven’t been blogging for that long but I have accumulated quite a few favorite tofu recipes with you here.
The tofu cactus scramble is still a go-to for when I crave something elevated and spicy.
Deep fried tofu that I mostly use for parties accompanied by a delicious creamy dip. It tastes like the Zaxby’s mayo dip.
And teriyaki tofu is definitely one of my daughter’s favorite!
Well, I haven’t always been a big fan of tofu. Partly due to all the articles on how tofu is bad you, and partly due to its flavor and texture.
How to make the perfect tofu?
The first time I have had tofu it tasted like this mushy , bland mess that never wanted to try again! Awful!
Then I had it properly made at this Japanese restaurant and fell in love with it. I realize that the key to have proper tofu is to have it nicely marinated before adding anything else to it. It’s a blank slate. A blank canva for you to get creative with. It absorb any flavor you it to get. That’s not something you can say about fish, beef, or chicken! Tofu is fun to play with! You can do or make it taste like whatever you want.
My tofu steaks usually has a light red snappers flavor to it. Not in a bad way. I sometimes make it taste like poultry too.
Before I do anything with my tofu, I drain it and freeze it. Then, I thaw it out, press it, and slice before marinating. I even marinate it before adding to soups.
I usually stay away from oil in the process until I am ready to fry or bake it.
It’s simple! You can totally batch marinate tofu, stick them in the freezer for later use. It will make life so much easier especially If you are very busy!
As for capers, they are loaded with antioxidants, iron, anti inflammatory, calcium, and fibers. They are these unrippen pickled flower buds picked in Winter for the pleasure of your palate. They are very salty, so it’s recommended to give them a good rinse before using. They are very delicious but some find them quite an acquired taste but very handy to have around for pastas, tofu, and vegetables. They had depth and flavors.
tofu steaks with capers relish
- 1 pack of extra firm tofu
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground chili powder or cayer pepper or red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp sage powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp arrowroot or corn starch
- 1/2 cup capers
- 1 small onion
- 1 tbsp chopper fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp pomegranate seeds optional
- 1 tsp oil optional
- First, remove the tofu from the packaging and drain it.
- Let it freeze overnight, then thaw and press.
- Meanwhile, add the spices into a shallow bowl. salt, onion powder, paprika, garlic,chili powder, black pepper, thyme, sage,oregano, ,and cumin. Mix with the water.
- Slice the tofu edgewise. Add the slices to the spice mixture.Let marinate overnight or for at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook whatever you need to go with it ( rice or quinoa for example). or prepare a salad.
- Drain the tofu, dip each slice into the arrowroot before coating them in the bread crumbs.At this point you can either deep fried the tofu steaks or baked them on 375 degrees for 25 minutes.
- To make the relish, you can either caramelize the chopped onions in a little bit of oil or some water if you prefer to keep the recipe oil free. Add the parley, and capers. Let cool before adding the pomegranate seeds.Serve over the tofu steaks.
Feel free to store those tofu steaks in the fridge for up to a week. Reheat on the stove top or oven before serving. Do not store the capers relish on the tofu as it will absorb all the flavors and things can get quite salty.
Question of the day:
Are you a fan of tofu? If so, what is your favorite tofu recipe?
More from this blog:
- Vegan Wines
- Easy dinner ideas for two
- Celery juice
- Moon Juice beauty shroom exfoliating acid potion review
- Tofu Steaks with capers relish
- Sausage and peppers