Vegan Chocolate fruit cake
You are in for a treat today!
Have you tried the compromise cake before? If you haven’t you are truly missing out!
I mostly see it at the store around the end of the year holidays.
It’s mostly a fruit cake but loaded with spices, chocolate, and goodness!
“For years, holiday baking bought a little tension to Frances Crum’s grandparent’s kitchen.Her grandfather insisted on a traditional fruit cake moistened with alcohol. Her grandmother wanted no candied fruit and declared alcohol out of the question. Wanting to keep peace in the family, they talked the situation over and created The Compromised Cake. Four generations now know the secret to the recipe as well as to a good marriage.” The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook, Fruit & Nut Cakes p 115
The original recipe called for a hint of chocolate, but when it comes to this dark stuff I either go big or go home!I also added more dates, less cane sugar, and 1/2 cup of dried tart cherry.
If you like fruit cake and like chocolate cake, you definitely will love this one! It’s moist, decadent, smells like a dream! It’s also easy and it’s done under an hour. Use a stand mixer to speed up the process!
My little girl was so excited to help out!
She loves all of the mixings and pourings involved in cooking and baking! The best sous-chef ever! 😍
Vegan Chocolate fruit Cake
- 2 cups applesauce, unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1½ chopped medjol dates
- ¾ cup vegan butter
- 1 cup raw, unrefined cane sugar
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup dried tart cherry
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 2½ tablespoon dark chocolate
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅓ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅓ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ cup melted vegan butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon of chocolate powder
- 1½ tablespoon hot water
- Combine the applesauce with the baking soda. set aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine the dried fruits.Set aside.
- Get a non-stick 10 in cake pan ready. ( a poundt cake tube is recommended)
- Beat the butter until fluffy in a mixer at medium speed.
- Add the sugar, slowly.
- Follow by the vanilla.
- Add the Applesauce mixture.
- The flour, and the spices.
- Add the raisins mixture.
- Mix really well!
- Pour batter into the pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 375 degrees or until the cake is well done.
- Then, let the cake cool on a rack.
- Add the butter in the mixer follow but the butter and the rest of the ingredients. Mix until you have a smooth glaze.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cooled chocolate cake.
I sure hope you give this one a try!
Tag#ethicandchic! I will be happy to repost them!
Did you miss my Vegan carrot cake?
Adapted from The ultimate Southen Cookbook.