Simple vegan tofu scramble
I used to eat scrambled eggs like it is going out style everyday for breakfast! I loved adding spinach, peppers, onions , and whatever other vegetables I have had on hands.
As you know eggs are definitely not part of my plant-based diet. In fact, I feel revolted every time I see a plate of eggs. The mere sight of them now makes turn my stomach!
Now, tofu scramble is one of my go-to vegan breakfast! I like to have it loaded with roasted red bell peppers, red pepper flakes, mushrooms,black salt or like I would normally make eggs.
Have you ever tried a tofu breakfast tacos? Delicious!!!!
While I enjoy tofu now, I remember despising the thing with a passion! The texture just couldn’t do it for me! It grew on me after several trials and errors.
The main reason why I got into tofu is because it’s an easy and cheap way to get some protein, it’s customizable, low crabs, gluten-free, and as delicious as any animal proteins. It’s also low in calories, has no cholesterol, and it’s an excellent source of iron and calcium.
Before I get to the part where i have a steaming plate of hearty breakfast, I like to do some prep work. Nothing major but necessary.
I usually get extra firm tofu , I am not a fan silken tofu unless is in a pitcher of green smoothie buried under fruits and vegetables.
I freeze tofu for a few hours the day before and let it thaw the night before I will use it. This method gives it a firmer, egg-like texture that hold less water.
Now, this one always hit the spot! Are you a tofu fan? What is your favorite way to enjoy it?
There are more vegan recipes on this blog:
SIMPLE VEGAN TOFU SCRAMBLE
- 1 block extra firm tofu, frozen, thawed, and pressed
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder for the lovely yellow color
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black or red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil unrefined, it’s tastier
- Heat up the frying pan on medium low heat.
- add the oil and chopped onion. Let cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add the tofu. Let cook until most of the water is gone.
- Add the garlic, turmeric, and onion powder.
- Season with the salt and pepper.